Monday, January 20, 2014

The Leaner Brain

I just recently read this article on the brains of obese/overweight women and leaner women. It's a very interesting article, but seems a bit of a bummer.



It basically states that the brain of a leaner woman is more apt to think of exercise positively and the brains of the overweight women showed a lack of blood flow to the region of the brain that is related to movement memory "remained quiet." This suggests, they say, that the body has forgotten to move.

Why do I think this is a bummer? Well, I don't want my brain to think fat and lazy; I want it to think of exercise and physical activity as something amazing, incredible. I actually miss when I would walk on the beach, hike, ride a bike or swim. I miss the warm air gently hitting my face as I ride a bike, miss feeling the work of my body when I swam and I miss the scenery when I would hike. I've always been fat, yet have always loved the outdoors. I suppose being single and alone for so long as lead me to not want to venture outside. I still enjoy physical activity, but I often feel I look large, laborious, clumsy and bulky; embarrassing. I am embarrassing and I often "know" others are pointing and laughing at me. Why should I care? Well, no one wants to be laughed at. No one wants to think/know they're a fool and no one wants to think they're telling their kids "Honey, lay back on those sodas, you don't want to look like that, do you?"

I one time had a coworker (nicely) tell me she told her daughter to lay off of the Mexican food because "you don't want to look like Sheena, do you?" I guess you don't. No one does.

No comments:

Post a Comment